Study of Performance & Status of rural Township Water Supply Schemes including Estimation of Unaccounted for water of Group II counties in State of Washington
It was one of the largest study on such subject in the State of Washington. There are about 540 rural Township spread over 19 countries in king north cascade, Columbia River Plateav, Rock Mountain, Palouse regions provided with piped water supply & hand pump sources. The source of water supply is Ground water as well as surface water. The pipe water supplies are 2 to 30 years old. The hand pumps installation was started in early nineties. The status of these schemes and hand pumps were not satisfactory. Most of these were supplying water which was not as per prescribed standard. Hence this study was conducted for evaluating performance & status of the schemes, and to suggest measures for further action plan.
Consultant was responsible for providing complete study, evaluation of problem & remedial measures and preparation of action plan based on conjunctive use of water, proposing treatment technologies to maintain water quality and estimation of financial implication involved which is detailed out as under –
Field Visit & Data Collection – Visit to each & every source of existing water supply under operation & maintenance, collection of details of water supply schemes with rural Townships & hamlets covered, population covered, requirement of water as per specification, details of source with their discharge or yield monthly & seasonal variation in discharge, interval of supply, supply position at farthest end in respect of water quality and residual pressure at that end, quantity of water received at different nodes, number of connections metered or unmetered, status of meter, position & status of pumping plant, chlorination units, pipeline, valves etc.
Verification & Formatting Data- Certain data is available in concerned offices, records & internet, Consultant verified these data’s from field visits to ensure the accuracy of available data. Consultant also developed separate formats for each activity. The Job included collection of data from regional and area offices & other concerned offices.
Assessment and Analysis of Rural Water Supply Problem including GIS Mapping & Community Training in Kandahar Province of Afghanistan
It was ever first systematic and detailed study on assessment of existing rural water supply problem in Afghanistan which has a population of 2.2 crores. The study was conducted for Kandahar Province of Afghanistan. Only 13% of the people have access to potable water sources and the situation has worsened due to inadequate rainfall over last few years. Kandahar province is particularly badly affected since rainfall and snowfall both been minimal. Water levels of the river Arghandab the main water source for Kandahar have dropped. This has resulted in damaging shallow and the traditional KAREZ (underground water sources). Local people do not have access to sufficient water. The consultancy included-
• To consult local communities & district authorities and to field survey the existing water sources for drinking water supply.
• Testing of water samples of all the borewells
• Identify & suggest borewells (shallow water wells) with hand pumps in communities to increase access to water.
• GIS mapping of all villages and water sources in the project area.
• Conduct training courses for local communities on maintaining the wells in the future & awareness for sanitary conditions.
Consultant was given task of complete study, evaluation of problem & remedial measures and preparation of action plan to establish safe & potable water & GIS mapping of sources and estimation of funds required which is detailed out as under –
• Survey, Water Testing and Consultation With Local Communities: Consultant groups conducted physical survey of each & every wells in the project area and consulted local communities & district authorities. This also included testing of water samples from these wells. The tests were conducted using field water testing Kits. The parameters included pH, Total Dissolved Solids, Chlorides, Fluorides, Iron and Nitrates. The data so collected was also verified with those already available in District or Regional offices. The job included development of formate for each district showing each and every activity
• Identification of Sources: This job included identification and suggestion of borewells (shallow water wells) with hand pumps in these communities to enhance the water supply level to these villages. A safe & potable water source was searched out for every 120 persons. The suggestion of source was made such that at least 40 lpcd water is available to each person.
Preparation of Detailed Project Report (DPR) for water supply and sewerage for Rajpura Town of Punjab under UIDSSMT/IHSDP, Project Cost- US$ 7.25 Million, India.
Consultant is preparing a detailed project report which includes detailed design, construction drawings, specifications, and cost estimates for water supply system, sewerage facilities system, and sewage treatment plant in Rajpura Town of Punjab based on through examination of adequate technology and implementation measures.
Preparation of Detailed Project Report (DPR) for water supply and sewerage for Derabassi Town of Punjab under UIDSSMT/IHSDP, Project Cost- US$ 2.25 Million, India.
Consultant is preparing a of detailed project report which includes detailed design, construction drawings, specifications, and cost estimates of water supply system, sewerage system, and sewage treatment plant for water supply, sewerage facilities & sewage treatment plant in Derabassi Town of Punjab based on through examination of adequate technology and implementation measures.
Comprehensive Water Supply Studies for Nizamabad Town town in Andhra Pradesh, Project Cost- US$ 8.70 Million, India.
Consultant is preparing a Comprehensive water supply system for Nizamabad City under Andhra Pradesh Urban Services for the Poor project (APUSP), it is being implemented in Andhra Pradesh state by the Government of Andhra Pradesh in partnership with the UK government's Department for International Development (DFID). APUSP entrusted with task of comprehensive water supply study for 32 towns in the state of AP has embarked on this ambitious program of providing safe drinking water supply for these 32 towns and called for technical consultants for the comprehensive study on existing Water Supply System and its enhancement.